Marinate the tofu:
- Cut a 1lb block of tofu into about 8 slices each about 3/4 - 1 inch thick
- Fold a CLEAN tea towel in half long ways and arrange the slices on the towel so that you can fold the towel into a "tofu sandwich"
- Squeeze the water out of the slices
- Arrange the tofu on a platter and slowly drizzle them with tamari so that it soaks in. Turn the slices over and repeat. Let them sit for a bit.
This is a good time to start the rice:
- Bring 4 cups of *salted* water to a boil in the rice pot.
- When the water is boiling add 2 cups of long grain rice
- Bring the water back to a boil.
- When it is boiling give the rice one good stir, turn down the heat to medium low (around 3 on the dial), and cover
- Adjust the lid of the pot a bit if it oozes too much.
- Cook until the rice is done - about 15-20 minutes.
- When the rice is done; turn of the heat and leave it covered.
Saute the tofu:
- Now start a skillet heating on almost high. Add a bit of sesame oil and a slug of olive oil to the pan.
- When the oil is hot, arrange the tofu slices in the pan and let them cook until the are browned on the bottom (5 minutes?)
- Turn the slices over and repeat the cooking
- Remove the tofu from the pan.
Of course there is nothing green here. Steamed broccoli is good with this. You can also nuke some frozen peas.