18 September 2004

Starting another one

Welcome to my new blog (my old blog is Earth Systems Management and has a very different focus than this one).

This one is an effort to advance my long standing and stagnant project to write a cook book that has no recipies. In will be different from say the work of Ruth Reichels or Anthony Bourdain in that it will be about cooking but it also meant to teach some one to cook - or more preciesly to feed oneself. Thus it will not just be about cooking but also about shopping, cleaning up and all the other stuff that surrounds the activities of getting good-to-decent food into one's body.

It will be told alot through stories of my mom, my dad, my friends and other people who have been a part of my learning to incorporate food into my daily life. The project began in second major phase of my cooking lifetime. It was a time when of necessity I was cooking for myself and rarely for anyone else. As many before me have commented, this is a particularly difficult task and one that is prone to alot of functional food (which definitely has its place). Somewhere in there I discovered that even functional food could have an aesthetic value and this project came out of that realization.

I haven't cooked for only myself for a long time - yet many of the lessons I learned in that period still come to bear. The most important of those is the value of aesthetics. When aesthetics come into play, the game changes. And the change for me was definitely for the better.

Let's see what happens...

No comments: