28 September 2004

canned soup

I am under the influence of a pretty impressive head cold. One of the hardest things about feeding yourself is doing it when you are sick. It really sucks if there is no one else around to fix lunch or bring you water or tell you to take a nap. I am certainly not a happy patient and would likely try the patience of anyone who did try to take care of me. And because of that I have learned a thing or two about taking care of myself when I am sick.

The first and foremost is that canned soup and crackers are a good thing! I always try to keep a few cans of Progresso in the house against just the sort of eventualities of the last couple of days. I used to put it in a pan and heat it up on the stove, but now I have a microwave, so I give the can a little shake, cut the top off, pour it in a bowl big enough for the whole thing and pop it in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. A few crackers to crumble on top and, How about that, I'm feeding myself. The nice thing about the microwave is that you can't burn the soup - you can make a mess but you won't burn it. (the full story on burned soup will have to wait for another day).

The other thing I have learned is that in fact drinking a lot of water and sleeping all day really does make a difference. Sometimes you can't and you just have to push through the fog, but if at all possible go to bed and stay there. For me if I really sleep for 1 day, it makes a world of difference. The water helps too, and yes it is a drag to keep on peeing, but a hydrated body is a happy body.

One last thing - Ginger Ale. A God send when you are feeling really crummy. I have tales about ginger ale too, but suffice it to say for now, keep some in the house right next to the canned soup...

Time to sleep...

No comments: