01 December 2007

Dry Rub - 1 Dec 2007

Here in Wisconsin, it is sleeting on top of about 2 inches of snow outside, but I am thinking about pulled pork. Even without the weather, my patience for tending a fire for the time necessary to smoke a pork-butt-roast is lacking. So my plan is to stick the thing in the oven at about 250 early tomorrow and forget about it for a significant number of hours.

But before I do that I need to marinate it (and thaw it, but that is another story) and to do that I needed to prepare another batch of dry rub. Now the rub with this post is that my intention is to not give recipes in this project; perhaps this post will be the exception that proves the rule...

My rubs thus far have had many many ingredients. I decided this time to try to simplify. So here is a decent rub that is pretty simple, albeit not quite perfect:

1/2 cup each, salt, brown sugar, paprika
2T each, garlic powder, onion powder
1.5T cumin
1T each, black and white peper
1.5 t oregano
1t cinnamon

be sure to get the lumps out of the brown sugar (a sifter or strainer works well for that) and grind the whole spices up really well (I use a coffee grinder (that I don't use for coffee)).

Stay tuned for a report on the pork, but don't hold your breath lest I not actually get to reporting about it.

No comments: