02 December 2007

The Pork

So the meat went in the oven at about 830 this morning at 250. I put it on a rack in a roasting pan, closed the door and went away. At about 1030, I basted the top of the roast with apple juice using a pastry brush. It would have been better if I had some dipping sauce (keep reading) to baste with, but hadn't yet made it.

At that point Z and I went to run some errands - Home Depot and Woodmans. We got home around 2, more apple juice. Then I some dipping sauce - (melt butter in a small sauce pan, about 1/2 as much mustard and a similar amount of molasses, a good dose of rub, a lot but not too much salt and then about 4 times the volume of apple cider vinegar (there is a better way that I will write down in another post). Bring to a boil (careful not to boil over).

From here on baste with the sauce. I went out again or I would have basted more. It also would have been good to turn the meat over around this time, but I had inserted a meat thermometer already...

By about 430p the internal temp of the meat was above 185 and I took it out of the oven to cool a bit. At about 5 I used two forks to shred the roast. It pulled pretty well and the bone came out pretty easily. Probably could have stayed in a bit longer. Maybe next time I will do it at about 225 degrees...

I poured out the grease from the pan and deglazed mostly with apple juice. I also used a bit of the dipping sauce (kind of a mistake as the vinegar was a bit much). I also added a bit of bbq sauce I had in the fridge that was based on the dipping sauce (I really couldn't write down how to do it again).

It was good.

No comments: